James McGrane Safety Complex
This state-of-the-art Public Safety Complex was built to meet the needs of East Mountain residents for Bernalillo County’s Sheriff’s Department, Office of Emergency Management (OEM), and Fire & Rescue Department. The 20,057 square foot design allows room for all three emergency teams. It consists of a secured site with a heliport, sheriff support services, administrative areas, a main/public lobby with separate secure access and circulation, multiple staff offices, male and female locker/restrooms, a large flexible open office area, a large community room also used for officer briefings, temporary holding and interrogation rooms, evidence storage, armory storage and weapon cleaning rooms, sound-secured offices, EOC dispatch center, IT communications room, Training/Conference room, a living area with a large open kitchen and ten bunk rooms for the fire station. A Life-Cycle Cost Analysis was completed during design to ensure the selection of an efficient HVAC system for the particular zone. Variable Refrigerant Volume recovery system (VRV) was the most desirable by the County. Tankless/on-demand water heaters, and low flow plumbing fixtures were added, and natural light was incorporated into the design through tubular skylights, roof dormers, and low-E tinted glazing to reduce heat gain.
• Facility designed to include an FAA helipad for emergency operations.
• Professional office environment setting with multiple secure levels, including front public lobby with bullet-resistant, yet highly visible, open and inviting design.
• Designed as Albuquerque’s alternative location for Office of Emergency Management (OEM) which consists of OEM offices, radio room and OEM conference/war room securely located adjacent to a large briefing/public conference room which doubles as a training center.
• Varied evidence locker storage configuration with exterior access and secure evidence processing station.
• Innovative security measures integrated including use of barriers and bollards, landscaping buffers, lighting, CCTV, and access control.
• Awarded the Mid Region Council of Government Tenth Annual Regional Award for Public Partnership. The award recognizes public partnership with other local government agencies for quick, cost-effective projects with minimal constituent impact.